Through Board service, Friends of the Hennepin County Library Directors enter into a relationship of trusteeship. Collectively, Board members are responsible for:
Organizational Resource Development
- Support fundraising activities as a core function of Board membership.
- Actively understand, commit to and promote the organization’s mission and vision, serving as ambassador and advocate for the organization in the community.
- Recruit potential Board members who could make a significant contribution to the success of the organization.
- Make a personally significant annual gift that reflects the prestige of Hennepin County Library and Friends of HCL as a top giving priority so that 100% of board members donate each fiscal year.
- Establish strategic goals and objectives consistent with the organization’s mission, monitor progress and continually engage in strategic planning for the future.
- Establish policies that govern the operations of the organization and allow the staff to pursue the goals set forth for the organization.
- Approve organization’s annual operating budget, ensuring the infrastructure to carry out the work, and oversee the organization’s assets, promoting a culture of transparency that builds trust with stakeholders.
- Exercise fiduciary responsibility and ensure legal and ethical integrity.
Board Directors serve a three-year term and may be elected to serve a second term.
“In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
President: MARY PAT LADNER, Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer, The Waters
Vice President: KAI SAKSTRUP, Senior Vice President, Corporate Strategy, U.S. Bank
Treasurer: CAROL SHAW, Retired Actuary, Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America
Secretary: CHARLOTTE ABRAHAMSON, Vice President, Information Technology, UnitedHealthcare
LOIS LANGER THOMPSON, Director, Hennepin County Library, Ex officio
JANE SHANARD, Director, Hennepin County Library Board, Ex officio
KRISTI PEARSON, Executive Director, Friends of the Hennepin County Library, Ex officio
CHADY ALAHMAR, Senior Vice President, Head of Business Development, U.S. Bank Wealth Management
BIZ COLBURN, Retired Director of Transportation Planning, HNTB
BEVERLY COTTMAN, Artist and Educator
CHRIS DU BOIS, Vice President, Interactive Marketing, Strategy & Operations, Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America
JOHN GIBBS, Senior Vice President, State Government & Regulatory Affairs, Comcast
SUSAN GRAY, Community Volunteer
MELISSA HARP, Principal, Risk Advisory Services, RSM US LLP
CAROL JORDAN, President, Friends of the Minneapolis Central Library
IRENE KILPATRICK, Retired Principal, Minneapolis Public Schools
SUZAN MCGINNIS, Director of Ethics & Compliance, Best Buy
BETH MCGUIRE THEOBALD, Vice President, Customer Communication, UnitedHealthcare
CHERYL OLSETH, Principal, Olseth Family Foundation
TOM RACCIATTI, Retired CEO, WW Johnson Meat Company
MARCIA RINEK, Community Volunteer
AIMEE ROGSTAD GUIDERA, President & CEO, Data Quality Campaign
PAT SCHMITT, Vice President, Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness, uCare
MATTHEW B. SELTZER, Attorney of Counsel, Stinson Leonard Street LLP
ADDIS TESFAYE, Solution Expert, Ultimate Software
GREG WEYANDT, Attorney of Counsel, Briol & Associates