Through Board service, Friends of the Hennepin County Library Directors enter into a relationship of trusteeship. Collectively, Board members are responsible for:
Organizational Resource Development
- Support fundraising activities as a core function of Board membership.
- Actively understand, commit to and promote the organization’s mission and vision, serving as ambassador and advocate for the organization in the community.
- Recruit potential Board members who could make a significant contribution to the success of the organization.
- Make a personally significant annual gift that reflects the prestige of Hennepin County Library and Friends of HCL as a top giving priority so that 100% of board members donate each fiscal year.
- Establish strategic goals and objectives consistent with the organization’s mission, monitor progress and continually engage in strategic planning for the future.
- Establish policies that govern the operations of the organization and allow the staff to pursue the goals set forth for the organization.
- Approve organization’s annual operating budget, ensuring the infrastructure to carry out the work, and oversee the organization’s assets, promoting a culture of transparency that builds trust with stakeholders.
- Exercise fiduciary responsibility and ensure legal and ethical integrity.
Board Directors serve a three-year term and may be elected to serve a second term.
“In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
President: GREG WEYANDT, Attorney of Counsel, Briol & Associates
Vice President: MARY PAT LADNER, Vice President, Marketing and Communications/CMO, The Waters
Treasurer: CAROL SHAW, Retired Actuary, Allianz Life Insurance Co.
Secretary: CHARLOTTE ABRAHAMSON, Vice President, Information Technology, United Healthcare
LOIS LANGER THOMPSON, Director, Hennepin County Library, Ex officio
JANE SHANARD, Board Member, Hennepin County Library Board, Ex officio
KRISTI PEARSON, Executive Director, Friends of the Hennepin County Library, Ex officio
CHADY ALAHMAR, Senior Vice President, Head of Business Development, U.S. Bank Wealth Management
LINDA BRANDT, Retired Marketing Director, Northrop Auditorium
BIZ COLBURN, Retired Director of Transportation Planning
BEVERLY COTTMAN, Artist and Educator
CHRIS DU BOIS, Vice President, Interactive Marketing, Strategy & Operations, Allianz Life Insurance Co. of NA
G. BRYAN FLEMING, Community Leader, Fleming Education Group, LLC (Principal)
TOM GABRIEL, CEO and Creative Director, Gabriel deGrood Bendt
JONATHAN GAW, Research Manager, Connected Home, IDC
JOHN GIBBS, Senior Vice President, Government Affairs, Comcast Corporation
SUSAN GRAY, Community Volunteer
AIMEE ROGSTAD GUIDERA, President & CEO, Data Quality Campaign
MELISSA HARP, Principal, Risk Advisory Services, McGladrey
IRENE KILPATRICK, Retired Principal, Minneapolis Public Schools
BETH MCGUIRE, Vice President, Customer Communication, UnitedHealth Care
STEEN MOLLER, Managing Director – Technology, Client Delivery, SAP, Accenture
MARCIA RINEK, Community Volunteer
KAI SAKSTRUP, Senior Vice President, Strategy and Business Development, U.S. Bank
JULIE SCHAPER, President & COO, Consortium Book Sales & Distribution
PAT SCHMITT, Vice President, Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness, uCare
MATTHEW B. SELTZER, Attorney of Counsel, Stinson Leonard Street LLP
ARDIS WEXLER, Retired Program Manager, Jewish Family and Children’s Services