For 2011-2012 Childish Films season finale, the Friends of the Hennepin County Library will present a collection of shorts from the 2012 Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival. Admission is free with open seating to the public.
Childish Film Festival Shorts
Saturday, April 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
Minneapolis Central Library, Pohlad Hall
300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401
Make your own stop-motion animation with Katie Maren for the pre-show activity. Enjoy complimentary snacks from Whole Foods Market! Take home a free children’s book, donated by Lerner Publishing Group! Enjoy eight short films, each from a different country!
About the films:
The program includes films from eight countries, including one live-action short, stop-motion animation, and a handful of mixed media animations made with unusual materials. Hand-knit and embroidered characters and backgrounds, cloth collage, cardboard, bottle-caps, children’s drawings, a dollhouse set, toys, and a live cat make this imaginative program enjoyable and appealing for the youngest audiences.
• Zap! by Ruby and Iris Seiwerath (USA, 3 min.). A house full of crazy-dancing Playmobil characters gets zapped by lasers!
• The Little Red Plane by Charlotte Blacker (UK, 4 min.). A knitted adventure about a boy and his cat delivering parcels from their little red plane.
• How Shammies Bathed by Edmunds Jansons (Latvia, 7 min.). A mixed-media animation in which a live cat teaches scrappy cloth ‘shammies’ how to bathe in a tub.
• Violin Play by Tunde Vollenbroek (Netherlands, 2 min.). A little girl wants to play violin as well as her idol. Unfortunately, she’s not that great.
• Dodu The Cardboard Boy by José Miguel Ribeiro (Portugal, 5 min.). A cardboard boy and a bottle-cap ladybug living in a cardboard city escape and set sail into a deep blue moonlit sea and have a dream adventure.
• Blue Elephant by Sung-chi Lo (Taiwan, 3 min.). A young girl plays backstage during a Taiwanese opera when a blue elephant puppet comes to life.
• Beans by Marly Reed (Canada, 6 min.). A live-action short about a little girl and a fistful of Jelly Beans. There’s one flavor she doesn’t like; what happens when she tries to plant it?
• Whale Bird by Sophie Roze (France, 7 min.). Witness a day in the life of a whale bird that sleeps under the sea by night, and plays on the beach and in the woods by day.
Childish Films is a program of the Friends of the Hennepin County Library. 2012 Season Co-sponsors: Lerner Publishing Group, Whole Foods Market, Weston Woods Studio, Crash and Sue’s, Minnesota Parent, KARE 11, Children’s Theater Company, MN Center for Book Arts, and Minnesota Film Arts.
Friends of the Hennepin County Library (Friends of HCL) is a vibrant community of supporters for our library system. Over the last ten years, our support community has provided more than $41 million in direct programmatic and cash support to libraries in Hennepin County. From fundraising to purchasing library materials to presenting a diverse range of cultural programs, our independent, non-profit network helps make the wonder of learning and discovery more accessible to all.